Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We Make A Difference Today




For one day all us savvy PR gals and guys step away from our laptops, put down our headsets, stop checking the latest Twitter posts or Valleywag dish, and set our smartphones to vibrate. Schools need painted, gardens planted, and bikes to fix for one day we're reminded of the big picture of life and just how lucky we are to have jobs and our health.


Crafting brings smiles? It does to my face, hopefully it will to lives of little kids around the country. Today we had our "WE Makes A Difference Day" where we're allowed to participate in company-wide volunteer activities organized by Hands On Greater Portland. This year I had the opportunity to make "smile" cards for kids living with a terminal illness. Far less messy for me than last year which ended when I accidentally spilled a can of paint on myself and the carpet of the school we were painting...yes I'm clumsy. But I'm distracted already from the matter at hand.

Before we start the projects the organizer gives us the profiles of the children complete with heartbreaking details. So inspired to bring a smile to their day, we busted out our scissors, paper, pens and glue sticks to craft our little hearts out.

No comments: